Robert Brochin, MD
Dr. Robert Brochin is an orthopedic surgeon who treats patients with injuries or conditions relating to the shoulder or elbow and many other general orthopedic conditions. Dr. Brochin’s goal is to employ both surgical and non-operative treatments for patients of all ages from student athletes to the elderly. His sub-specialty fellowship training in shoulder and elbow surgery allows him to provide cutting-edge treatment of upper extremity conditions. Dr. Brochin has special interest and expertise in:
- Shoulder and elbow arthroplasty (shoulder and elbow replacements for degenerative conditions)
- Advanced arthroscopic techniques for issues such as shoulder instability and rotator cuff tears
- Treatment of complex fractures of the upper extremity
Originally from New York City, Dr. Brochin attended Georgetown University, earning a Bachelor’s degree in Human Science. He went on to complete medical school at Albert Einstein College of Medicine. He completed a residency in orthopedic surgery at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City, and then pursued an extra year of sub-specialty training in shoulder and elbow surgery at the prestigious Cleveland Clinic, annually ranked among the top orthopedic surgery programs in the country.
In addition to clinical practice, Dr. Brochin is actively involved in significant clinical research, which has been published in numerous articles in peer-reviewed journals, and he has presented his findings at national and international meetings. Furthermore, he has published several book chapters regarding the current science of shoulder and elbow surgery. He is a Fellow Member of the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons (ASES), a prestigious subspecialty organization within orthopedic surgery comprised of the top shoulder and elbow surgeons.
- Shoulder and Elbow Pain
- Shoulder and Elbow Arthritis
- Shoulder Replacements (Anatomic and Reverse)
- Shoulder Arthroscopy
- Rotator Cuff Tears
- Shoulder Injuries in Athletes
- Shoulder Instability (Dislocation)
- Revision Shoulder Surgery
- Shoulder, Elbow, and Arm Fractures
- Shoulder and Elbow Steroid Injections
- Shoulder and Elbow Biologic Injections (PRP)
- Tennis/Golfer’s Elbow
- Cubital Tunnel Syndrome
- Elbow Replacements
- General Orthopedics and Fracture Care
Education and Training
Cleveland Clinic Foundation Medical Center, Cleveland, OH
Shoulder & Elbow Surgery, Orthopedic and Rheumatalogic Institute
cy Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY
Orthopaedic Surgery, Department of Orthopedic Surgery
- Medical School
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY
M.D. Dean’s Recognition Award
Georgetown University, Washington D.C.
B.S. Human Science, magna cum laude
- American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital – Downers Grove
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center – Elk Grove Village
- Elmhurst Memorial Hospital – Elmhurst
- Northwest Community Hospital – Arlington Heights
- St. Alexius Medical Center – Hoffman Estates
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Patel, AV, Matijakovich DJ, Brochin RL, Zastrow RK, Parsons BO, Flatow EL, Hausman MR, Cagle PJ. Mid-term Outcomes after Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty with Latissimus Dorsi Transfer. Shoulder & Elbow. March, 2021.
- Brochin RL, Zastrow RK, Patel A, Parsons BO, Flatow EL, Cagle PJ. Arthroscopic Glenoid Removal for Aseptic Loosening in Total Shoulder Arthroplasty. Seminars in Arthroplasty: JSES. Published online December 27,2020 (Epub ahead of print).
- Cagle PJ, Brochin RL, Gluck MJ, Zastrow RK, Parsons BO, Sanchez-Sotelo J. Referencing the Pectoralis Major Tendon for Humeral Stem Height Placement in Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty for Fracture. Seminars in Arthroplasty: JSES. 2020;00:1-7.
- Brochin RL, Zastrow RK, Hussey-Andersen L, Parsons BO, Cagle PJ. Revision Rotator Cuff Repair: A Systematic Review. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2020;29(3): 624-33.
- Brochin RL, Poeran J, Vig KS, Keswani A, Zubizarreta N, Galatz LM, Moucha CS. Trends in Periprosthetic Knee Infection and Associated Costs: A Population-Based Study Using National Data. Journal of Knee Surgery. Published online March 4, 2020 (Epub ahead of print).
- Lonner BS, Brochin RL, Mikhail C, Eaker L. Posterior Spinal Fusion with Multilevel Posterolateral Convex Disc Releases for the Treatment of Severe Thoracolumbar Scoliosis. International Journal of Spine Surgery. 2020; 14(3):7041.
- Poeran J, Ippolito K, Brochin RL, Zubizarreta N, Mazumdar M, Galatz LM, Moucha CS. Utilization of Drains and Association with Outcomes: A Population Based Study Using National Data on Knee Arthroplasties. The Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2019; 27(20):e913-19.
- Brochin, RL, Zastrow R, Patel A, Selverian S,Parsons BO, Flatow EL, Cagle PJ. Long-Term Clinical and Radiographic Outcomes of Total Shoulder Arthroplasty in Patients Under Age 60. Accepted for podium presentation, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting August 2021; San Diego, CA
- Brochin RL, Poeran J, Zubizarreta N, Galatz LM, Moucha CS. Utilization of Drains in Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Population Based Study. Eastern Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting. October 2018; Amelia Island, FL
- Lonner B, Brochin RL, Ren Y, Kim JS, Dowdell JE. Changes in Body Shape Following Surgical Correction in Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis Surface Topography Changes are Associated with Improvements in Health-Related Quality of Life. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting. March 9, 2018; New Orleans, LA
- Brochin RL, Keswani A, Poeran J, Zubizarreta N, Mazumdar M, Moucha CS. Trends in Periprosthetic Hip Infection and Associated Costs: A Population-Based Study Using National Data. American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons Annual Meeting. November 3, 2017; Dallas, TX
- Cavinatto L, Bronson MJ, Chen DD, Brochin RL, Bozic KJ, Moucha CS. Robotic-Assisted versus Standard Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty: Evaluation of Manuscript Conflicts of Interest, Funding and Bibliometrics. American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons Annual Meeting. November 3, 2017; Dallas, TX